In Junior Infants we like to practice an active, hands on approach to teaching and learning so as to develop a love for learning in the early years.
Classes work together with regards planning and shared activities to ensure an enjoyable experience for all. We have implemented an Aistear based curriculum in Junior Infants, focusing on set themes throughout the year. We use station teaching to achieve this theme based learning, allowing children to work in small groups developing their numeracy, literacy and social skills. Some of these themes are: The Toyshop, The Doctor’s Surgery, The Post Office, The Restaurant etc.
Things to look forward to in Junior Infants: Halloween Dress Up, Christmas Nativity, visit from the Lollipop Lady/Postman, Spring Walk, Easter Hunt, trip to the Post Office, Active Schools week and many more!
More information regarding Junior Infants is addressed during the Parents Information Night which is held in June for children enrolling in the following September.
Some General Information –
● School starts at 9.00 am.
● On dry days, the children remain on the infant yard with their belongings and are collected when the bell rings by the class teacher.
● On wet days, your child will line up outside their classroom by themselves until the bell goes at
9.00 am. There will be teacher supervision on the corridors to ensure safety of all children.
● School finishes for Junior Infants at 1.45pm.
● Small break: 10.55am – 11.10am
● Big break: 12.45pm – 1.15pm
● If you need to take your child out of school for any reason, the class teacher must be notified and you must sign the early collection sheet in the office.
● Parent teacher meetings will take place in November.